Apple Spice Oatmeal

Porridge, stable breakfast for a cold winter morning. Heartwarming, isn't it?

I first had porridge when I moved to the UK, had never heard of it before and to be honest it didn't look very appetizing when I first saw it but that changes when you add a bit of umph. This "umph" can come in maaaany ways, this is one of the reasons why I love oats, they are very versatile. 

I am guessing, and I'm probably right, that you love apple pie "I don't like apple pie" said no one ever. 

What about combining oats and apple pie spice and actually making it healthy? We all know apple pie isn't the healthiest of choices since it is packed with sugar and refined flour but this breakfast recipe is as tasty as a beloved apple pie. 




Ingredients 

1 small Fuji apple (or any other sweet apple)
Oats (of course) 50g
1/2 Lemon juice
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Cardamom 
Walnuts 
Almond Milk 
Honey (Optional)


Preparation

1. Peel and chop your apple.

2. Squeeze half a lemon.

2.  Cook your chopped apple in a pan over medium heat with the juice of half a lemon. The lemon juice acids will help the apple to let go of its sugars.

3.  Cook until tender, this will take around 10 mins and check every few minutes and stir. 

4. You can buy already made apple pie spice but I decided to make my own since it is very simple; 4 parts of cinnamon to 2 of nutmeg to 1 of cardamom. Easy peasy! 

5. Add oats, almond milk (you can substitute it with water or any other milk) and a dash of apple pie spice. 

6. Cook for about 5 minutes or until desired thickness is acquired. 

7. Sprinkle walnuts on top. Walnuts are one of the most powerful foods. They are very healthy. They are crunchy, great pair for soft oatmeal and it gives a crumble feeling to it. 

* You don't have to measure everything for this recipe my measurements are indicative. Everything to your taste.
* You can also add honey for extra sweetness. 
* All products I used were organic. 

I'd love to hear your opinions if you make this recipe.

Thanks for reading 

Have a lovely weekend

xxx

Maria 



comments powered by Disqus